The Bon Appetit! Bon Appalachia! campaign is a project of the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC), a regional economic development agency whose mission is to innovate, partner, and invest to build community capacity and strengthen economic growth in Appalachia.
ARC and its Tourism Council, which includes representatives from the 13 states within the Appalachian Region, developed the Bon Appetit Appalachia initiative to highlight the Region’s most distinctive local food destinations.
This campaign was developed and maintained from the summer of 2014 – the summer 2017. Although the content is no longer maintained, Bon Appétit Appalachia! remains the largest searchable online map of local food businesses and entrepreneurs operating in Appalachia. Most of these businesses remain in operation and continue to thrive. Be sure to call before you visit.
For more information, contact:
Kostas C. Skordas
Director, Division of Planning & Research
Bon Appétit Appalachia! Is the largest searchable online map of local food businesses and entrepreneurs operating in Appalachia. Bon Appétit Appalachia! currently contains over 830 local farms, restaurants, bakeries, breweries, wineries, and festivals operating in the 13 Appalachian states, and continues to expand.
Appalachian local food businesses that would like to participate in Bon Appétit Appalachia! are encouraged to email email@example.com.
- Are located within the borders of the Appalachian Region
- Are tourist-ready and offer a great tourist experience
- Make a good-faith effort to source locally as much as possible on a year-round basis
- List names of farms and/or farmers who supply locally-grown foods on menus, display boards or other literature regularly seen by patrons
- Offer local beers and/or wines by name on the regular menu
- Participate in efforts to promote local foods in the community – farmers market demonstrations, local food workshops, speaking engagements, catering for events, etc.
- Consistently carry menu items or offer specials built around local, seasonal ingredients
- Offer unique culinary heritage experience or event open to visitors
Members of the ARC Tourism Advisory Council helped identify locations to be included in Bon Appétit Appalachia!. The website and printed map were designed by Destination by Design in Boone, North Carolina, which is launching a companion social media campaign using the hashtag #bonappalachia.