The Bon Appetit! Bon Appalachia! campaign is a project of the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC), a regional economic development agency whose mission is to innovate, partner, and invest to build community capacity and strengthen economic growth in Appalachia.
ARC and its Tourism Council, which includes representatives from the 13 states within the Appalachian Region, developed the Bon Appetit! Bon Appalachia! initiative to highlight the region’s most distinctive local food destinations.
Bon Appétit Appalachia! Is the largest searchable online map of local food businesses and entrepreneurs operating in Appalachia. Bon Appétit Appalachia! currently contains over 830 local farms, restaurants, bakeries, breweries, wineries, and festivals operating in the 13 Appalachian states, and continues to expand.
Bon Appétit Appalachia! was originally released in 2014 with 500 locations. Today’s version includes 72% more locations. ARC is continuing to expand Bon Appétit Appalachia!.
Appalachian local food businesses that would like to participate in Bon Appétit Appalachia! are encouraged to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sites featured on this listing must meet at least two of the following criteria:
- Are located within the borders of the Appalachian Region
- Are tourist-ready and offer a great tourist experience
- Make a good-faith effort to source locally as much as possible on a year-round basis
- List names of farms and/or farmers who supply locally-grown foods on menus, display boards or other literature regularly seen by patrons
- Offer local beers and/or wines by name on the regular menu
- Participate in efforts to promote local foods in the community – farmers market demonstrations, local food workshops, speaking engagements, catering for events, etc.
- Consistently carry menu items or offer specials built around local, seasonal ingredients
- Offer unique culinary heritage experience or event open to visitors
As part of Bon Appétit Appalachia!, ARC also released an abridged printed map, available through state tourism agencies in the 13 Appalachian states. In addition, in partnership with Edible Communities, the map is being published in regional Edible Communities magazines in and around Appalachia. Edible Communities also produces a monthly podcast, “Backroad Journeys“, which profiles businesses on Bon Appétit Appalachia!.
Members of the ARC Tourism Advisory Council helped identify locations to be included in Bon Appétit Appalachia!. The website and printed map were designed by Destination by Design in Boone, North Carolina, which is launching a companion social media campaign using the hashtag #bonappalachia.